"Wisdom is like a baobab tree. No one individual can embrace it." -Akon Proverb

Pages

Sunday 22 June 2014

A Precious Bag of Arrowroot


"If I define my neighbor as the one I must go out to look for, on the highways and byways, in the factories and slums, on the farms and in the mines – then my world changes. This is what is happening with the “option of the poor,” for in the gospel it is the poor person who is the neighbor par excellence…
But the poor person does not exist as an inescapable fact of destiny. His or her existence is not politically neutral, and it is not ethically innocent. The poor are a by-product of the system in which we live and for which we are responsible. They are marginalized by our social and cultural world. They are the oppressed, exploited proletariat, robbed of the fruit of their labor and despoiled of their humanity. Hence the poverty of the poor is not a call to generous relief action, but a demand that we go and build a different social order."
-Gustavo Gutierrez

This week I accompanied Nema and Naomi to do a mid-term evaluation on the "HIV Control and Reproductive Health Enhancement Project" in Ng'enda. Depending on the temperamental Kenyan traffic, Ng'enda is about an hours drive from Nairobi. The drive back and forth with one of my superviser, Nema, allowed for valuable, insightful conversation. Nema is a passionate and purposeful woman. Her stories and advice were steeped with years of experience as a Public Health worker and her passion for HIV/AIDS.

Just a little traffic = more talking time

Let me give you some background to the Ng'enda project. In Ng'enda, AIDS has caused pervasive premature mortality of the most productive groups, leaving behind orphaned children and overwhelmed widows. AIDS has destroyed human capital and reduced labor force. Sadly, increased stigma around HIV has resulted in denial of basic human rights for people living with HIV. In addition, the soil in the area is infertile resulting in high crop failure and low food security. The goal of this project is to improve the overall health status of the community by reducing HIV transmissions and mitigating HIV impact in the area. The project also focuses on improving the economic status and food security, especially for women and girls, in the area.



The final discussion to analyze all the FGDs 

Similar to Taita Taveta, although not as extensive, we held various focused group discussions (FGD) with the community health workers, the village men and women, and the elders. The FGDs would help us see how the project is progressing and what changes need to be made. Like most World Renew projects, the Ng'enda project is closely partnering with a local church, government officials, and local organizations.


The partner church


The small nursery school run by the church

I've realized that community development is more about the process and less about the results. If you look past the process, you won't get the results. The process involves transformation of heart - starting with the development worker and working around every member of the community. That transformation of heart does not take place overnight. Like gardening, it requires patience and nurture. Often, donors and big organizations want results fast. They are interested in cookie-cutter projects and quantitative, not qualitative, data. But without transformation of heart, there's no ownership. An orphan may very easily become "that organization's problem" rather than the community's child. I think it's human nature to want to focus on the harvest rather than the process of seed-planting and growth.
It's been nearly two years since the Ng'enda project began and they are only just beginning to see a change of heart and ownership in some community members - that's how much patience is required.

This makes me think of how God feels when He sees me making countless mistakes. He could choose to get fast results by getting me from point A to point B without letting me ask questions. Instead, the Maker of the Universe chooses to let me make my own mistakes. He is patient with me when, time and time again, I turn away from Him and seek my own will. He is faithful and doesn't give up on me even when I've lost hope in myself. He's more interested in the transformation of my heart than in seeing "results". Goodness, where would I be - where would we all be - if God was simply focused on "results".

On the last day in Ng'enda with Naomi, Patrick, Nema, and Belinda 

Just before we left, a group of women from the community called us over to talk to us. They handed us each a black plastic bag. I peered inside to find some fresh arrowroot - a "thank-you" from the community.


No comments:

Post a Comment